Beth Burkhart, GPNPS Field Trip Coordinator, lists these field trips for Society members and guests.
To receive notification of further details (departure time & place, etc.) you must sign up by contacting us at 605-673-3159 or GPNPS Fieldtrips, PO Box 321, Hermosa, SD 57744 USA. Only those on the list will receive the detail mailing, so sign up if there is any slight chance you will be interested in attending.
- May 09 • Trip to View Early Spring Flowers - CANCELLED
- CANCELLED. This is a chance to see the early spring flowers. Our “Mother’s Day” trip was enjoyed by a small group of plains wildflower-lovers for several years in the past, and was always done on Sunday. However, since now we are listing this through the Society Field Trips, it will take place on Saturday, unless cancelled due to rain.
Watch this space for the exact location, which is yet to be determined.
Bring your camera, a good warm jacket, a sun-hat, and your lunch.
Sorry, no dogs allowed on any of the GPNPS field trips.
- Jun 12-13 • Open House: Log Cabin Visitor Center at the Great Plains Botanic Garden - CANCELLED
- CANCELLED - Friday & Saturday, June 12 & 13, 9:am–4:pm.
Open House at the Great Plains Botanic Garden, a short distance east of Hwy 79 five miles south of Hermosa SD. The physical address is 14229 Windbreak Road, Hermosa, SD.
Come see our Penstemon Display, the new Cactus Garden, the Grass Sector being installed and stroll through more of the grounds on our Trail of Two Hills.
The bookstore/giftshop in the Log Cabin Visitor Center will be open and offering free coffee and snacks.
Bring your friends, but not your pets. Sorry, no pets are allowed at the Botanic Garden. Bring your camera, sunscreen, hat and so on.
- Jul 11 • A Closer Look into the Sandhills of Nebraska - CANCELLED
- CANCELLED - approximate time 10:am–3:pm
Valentine National Wildlife Refuge, about 30 miles south of Valentine Nebraska. Come for a walk in the Sandhills of Nebraska, a very interesting part of the Great Plains.
Free primitive camping available, or use a motel in Valentine, NE.
Bring your lunch/snacks, hat, camera, sunscreen, and insect protection. Be prepared for any weather with sunhat, windbreaker, raincoat, etc. Non-member guests are welcome. Sorry, pets are not allowed on the GPNPS field trips.
Please join the RSVP list for this event in order to receive last minute info. We may yet have to cancel this trip. If so, it will be rescheduled for next year. Only the RSVP list will receive postcard info. Otherwise, you may always check here.